Firefighters Save Resident after Blaze Tears Through Fifth Floor of Bronx Apartment Building

NY Daily News - August 05, 2017

by ADAM SHRIER

Firefighters rescued a resident who was critically injured in an apartment fire that broke out in a Bronx project building early Saturday, officials said.

The blaze engulfed a fifth floor apartment and smoke flooded the halls of the Gouverneur Morris Houses on Washington Ave. near E. 170th St. in Claremont Village around 1 a.m., according to authorities.

The fire was extinguished about 30 minutes later.

Medics rushed the resident, who was trapped in the flames, to Lincoln Hospital in critical but stable condition.

A firefighter who participated in the rescue effort was taken to North Central Bronx Hospital with minor injuries.