Tuesday, February 14, 2017
for Special Membership Meeting
Hilton New York JFK Airport Hotel, Queens, NY
- Security Benefit Fund (SBF) Help Table Today
Members who require help regarding dental, prescription drugs, optical or any other benefits provided via the UFA SBF, should visit the SBF table today. SBF personnel are there to help you.
- Candidate Nominations
Candidate nominations for UFA General Election will take place during today's meeting. Candidates who have submitted verified signature petitions must be nominated from the floor, accept the nomination (within 10 days) and fill out required documents in order to be placed on the election ballot. The Recording Secretary will provide all nominated candidates with the required documents to fill out, in accordance with the UFA Constitution, and a diskette of member mailing addresses upon return of the completed documents. Candidates should see the Recording Secretary prior to the meeting for the document package. See below for balloting dates.
Special Thanks to the Election Committee (Pat Demic, Richard Bancroft, Marc Dore, Michael O'Neill & Kevin Woods)
PBA Settles Contract
Late last week the City & PBA agreed to a tentative deal covering 2012-2017, UFA President will update the membership at today's meeting
UFA Collective Bargaining 2017
- On Monday February 27th at 10am the Battalion Advisory Committee will
be brought in for a preliminary discussion over our next CBA.
- A survey will be sent to all members asking to prioritize issues & demands
for the next round of negotiations.
- An official request for negotiation dates is being sent to Bob Linn at OLR.
Counter Terrorism Task Force Update
A joint meeting of the UFA & UFOA, at the Office of Labor Relations (OLR), along with representatives of the FDNY to have a joint safety impact session over the recent implementation of the Rescue Task Force, pursuant to NY City Collective Bargaining Law. Unfortunately our meeting scheduled for Tuesday, February 7th, has been rescheduled to Friday, February 10th, The UFA committee will update the membership.
- The Community Heroes Protection would expand penal law to include all offenses committed against law enforcement officers, firefighters and emergency services personnel as hate crimes if the acts appear to be motivated by the victim's profession. Offenses committed against first responders would be classified as hate crimes if a bill proposed Monday is passed The measure was announced Monday at the Capitol by sponsors Sen. Fred Akshar, R-Coleville, Broome County, and Assemblyman Peter Abbate, D-Brooklyn, and various first responder organizations from around the state. UFA President James Slevin testified in support of the bill. President Slevin will update the membership.
- UFA President James Slevin & Vice President Fitzgerald have met with numerous City Council members concerning the upcoming city budget, stressing the need for additional resources in the FDNY. We are working with City Councilperson Elizabeth Crowley on targeting the companies that were closed under the Bloomberg administration. We will continue to update the membership on this important issue.
- City Council District 9 Special Election: On Tuesday February 14
will take place in District 9, former council member Inez Dickens was elected to the assembly, creating the open seat. The UFA endorses TWU political director Marvin Holland for the Council seat.
- NYS Public Employees Conference (PEC): On Tuesday, February 8 at the annual PEC breakfast, which took place in Albany, the main topic of discussion was the upcoming constitutional referendum that will be on the November general election ballot. President Slevin will update the membership.
Labor Management Update
- Bronx memo concerning changes in Self- mutual policy
Recently a memo was circulated from the Borough Commander covering a handful of topics that supposedly the department had approved of, changing the self mx policy - making it mandatory to pre-pay a self-mx, before taking a tour off. This is not happening.
- Five Man Engines increased in February
As per the UFA contract, an additional 5 Engine companies will added a 5th firefighter, they are E-5, E-50, E-156, E-236 & E-308
- Verification of Random Drug Testing Printouts
The UFA and Department have agreed to a new policy, allowing the UFA/UFOA to witness the random drug unit's computer printing of the companies next up for testing. The UFA/UFOA will sign the back of each form and be able to challenge the department on any unusual patterns of companies being tested. UFA President James Slevin will update the membership at Today's meeting.
- Parking at Metrotech
The department has asked us to remind all members that parking is prohibited in many areas around FD headquarters, cars may be ticketed or towed if illegally parked.
IAFF ALTS Conference
The IAFF held its affiliate leadership training seminar (ALTS) on January 24th-26th. This training is classroom-style, with a variety of topics covered and can be found on the IAFF website.
UFA Fire Marshal rep Steve Tagliani will give the membership a report at today's meeting.
- Wednesday, March 1st
Ballots will be mailed by the American Arbitration Association (AAA) on March 1st to all members' home addresses for an election vote.
- Tuesday, March 21st
Ballots due by 5pm** at AAA. Ballots sent via overnight mail that are received on 3/21 will count.
- Wednesday, March 22
Ballots counted 10am in front of the Recording Secretary and the election committee by AAA and announcement of results via 65-2 fax and web posting.
Requests for new Ballot: If a member has not received a ballot by March 10th, they must call 800-529-5218 between 9am-5pm M-F, and request a new ballot.
**Members may hand deliver the ballot until 5pm on 3/21 at American Arbitration Assn. 120 Broadway, 21st Floor, New York, NY 10271.
Military Members serving active duty any time between March 1 and March 21 may vote via the internet in accordance with the UFA Constitution and above time requirements. Any activated military member wishing to e-vote must insure your email address on record at the UFA is accurate, in order to receive an e-ballot. If not, immediately prepare an 'SBF Change of Address Form' noting your email address, sign it, and fax to: 212-683-4359, or mail to the UFA, Attn: LeRoy McGinnis, Recording Secretary, 204 East 23 Street, New York, NY 10010, or email your current email address to RecordingSecretary@ufanyc.org.
Any Delegate with an activated military member assigned to his company is asked to reach out to the family to obtain an email address, if the member is using email while overseas. Provide this info to UFA Recording Secretary LeRoy McGinnis. The information will be verified prior to emailing a ballot.
Delegate ID Photos at February Meeting
New Delegates can get ID Photos at the February meeting.
Delegate ID Photos
Delegates Photos have been rescheduled - they will take place during the March 9
2017 UFA Delegate Seminar
In accordance with the UFA Constitution, a seminar site was chosen by a majority vote of the Delegate body. The 2017 Delegate Education Seminar will be held May 9th through May 12th in Atlantic City at the Tropicana. Information packets with room registrations & details will be mailed shortly.
Update Your Address, Email, Phone #s with the UFA
Members and Delegates wishing to receive important information or notifications from the UFA should insure that their residence addresses, email addresses, home and cell phone numbers on file with the UFA are updated and accurate. In order to do this, you must prepare and sign a 'SBF Change of Address Form' and mail to the UFA, Attn: SBF. Forms can be obtained from your Delegate, who can assist you, or you can call the UFA SBF at 212-683-4723, or visit the Forms Section of the UFA web site. Additionally, members wishing to receive e-mails from the UFA should add the UFA e-mail address, UFA@ufanyc.org, to their contacts. Members are reminded to also notify the Fire Department of your changes, especially your mailing address.
2017 UFA Calendar Correction
The 2017 UFA Calendar incorrectly lists the September 2017 meeting as September 7th. The CORRECT date is September 14th. Please mark your calendars accordingly.
James M. Slevin